Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

When I read my first Hemingway in high school, it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences. I procrastinated against my summer reading until the last minute, and ended up reading A Farewell to Arms in about 7 hours before spending the night writing a paper about it. I thought maybe I was tying my miserable experience to the author, and gave Hemingway another shot. For the most part, I am glad I did.

The Sun Also Rises follows the narrative, declarative style of Hemingway through the drunken vacation of Jake. The descriptions are excellent, and his knowledge of alcohol is quite good (as it should be, based on what we know of his lifestyle), but at the end I'm left unsatisfied. I'm not sure what I expected of the outcome, but I remember having a similar experience with A Farewell to Arms. Not being a literary critic or having studied the life of Hemingway or "the lost generation" in depth, perhaps this is the sentiment he hoped to leave upon the reader.

Short, and full of colorful creation of setting, this was worth the read.

In Progress:
Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
Emma - Jane Austen
Four Past Midnight - Stephen King

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home